Private Rental Support
Launch Housing’s Private Rental Assistance Program (PRAP) provides people at risk of, or experiencing homelessness with financial and practical assistance to establish and maintain private rental tenancies.
It helps people to find or keep a home by assisting them with information about the rental market, the housing search process, and offers practical support (e.g. rental applications).
Financial assistance is offered to eligible clients to help cover the cost of rent in advance and other tenancy establishment costs or rent arrears. PRAP team members can also give clients access to information and support from other specialist services within Launch Housing.
Available to clients who have fallen behind in rent and are living in private rental accommodation. If eligible, they can receive a one-off payment.
For assistance with setting up a repayment plan with your agent/landlord please go to Dear Landlord.
Rent in Advance
For people at risk of, or experiencing homelessness who need to get into private rental, financial assistance is provided by paying the first month’s rent in advance. This only applies to individuals who meet our client eligibility requirements.
PRAP team members can provide advice and rental assistance to eligible clients by helping them search for housing, improve rental applications and assist with the first month’s rent in advance.
Access Private Rental Assistance
To be eligible for Launch Housing’s private rental supports you must reside in one of the following Local Government Areas:
- Cities of Greater Dandenong, Casey and Cardinia Shire
- Cities of Port Philip, Stonnington, Glen Eira, Bayside, Kingston, Frankston and the Mornington Peninsula
- City of Melbourne (CBD, Southbank and East Melbourne only), Yarra, Darebin, Banyule, Nillumbik and Whittlesea
To apply for assistance with Rent in Advance or Rental Arrears please complete the PRAP application form and our team will get in touch with you.
The PRAP team will prioritise Rent in Advance requests and will contact applicants within 24 hours after they submit our PRAP application form.
For all Rental Arrears requests we will contact you within 5 business days. If you haven’t heard from us within 5 business days please call our team on 03 9556 5775.
Only if you are unable to complete the attached form you may contact the Private Rental Assistance Program on 03 9556 5775.
*The Launch Housing PRAP application form is hosted on a secure, encrypted platform Jotform.*
PRAP PLUS is a short term voluntary support programs which provides practical valuable education, support and advocacy for tenants residing in private rental properties who find they may be struggling to maintain their rental.
We assist with practical support and guidance to maintain their current tenancy by providing:
- Assistance to encourage ongoing positive communications pathway between tenant and rent providers/landlords.
- Advocate in negotiating rent arrears repayment plans to avoid possible Notice to Vacate and further action by rent provider.
- Advocate in VCAT hearing where possible.
- Assisting to link in with relevant support needs including; employment services, financial counselling, specialised support services, legal support when required.
- Provide education in regards to maintaining a positive rental for present and future rentals
This program is unique and is beneficial for those that may have entered into a rental property for the first time or, have experienced issues which have become barriers and therefore may have lost focus on prioritising their rental. The program is focused on empowering and educating tenants to be confident and take control of their tenancy.