HomeGround Real Estate, a division of Launch Housing, is calling on owners of empty properties in the municipality to return 1,000 homes to the rental market.
Despite the current housing affordability crisis, more than 7,000 homes in the City of Melbourne municipality remain empty according to City of Melbourne demographic data 2013*. Returning just 14 per cent, or 1,000 homes, to the rental market would make a big difference to the growing number of people who struggle to find an affordable home in Melbourne.
HomeGround Real Estate is a not-for-profit real estate agency run by Launch Housing, one of Melbourne’s largest providers of housing and homelessness services. The innovative social enterprise aims to increase the stock of affordable housing for clients throughout Melbourne, securing affordable properties for low income tenants, including women and children escaping family violence.
Launch Housing Deputy CEO Dr Heather Holst said property owners leave homes empty for a variety of reasons but listing the properties with HomeGround Real Estate could make a big difference.
“More and more people on lower incomes are at risk of homelessness due to the lack of affordable rental properties in Melbourne. If you have an empty property in the City of Melbourne municipality please talk to us about bringing it back on to the rental market. It could make a huge difference to someone’s life.
“The benefits are huge. People who have otherwise been priced out of the market are offered more affordable private rental, and HomeGround Real Estate offers landlords expert property and tenancy management services that give them peace of mind, the opportunity to contribute to those in need of housing, and a ‘social return’ on their negotiated, discounted rental fee.”
The City of Melbourne made a one-off grant of $150,000, from its $2 million Pathways Innovation Package, to HomeGround Real Estate to contribute to activities that will increase the number of rental properties that are available to people experiencing homelessness within the municipality.
To arrange an interview or photo opportunity:
Please contact Dara Peskin, Marketing and Communications Lead Launch Housing 0419 347 114 or email [email protected]
Spokespeople available for interview are:
- Launch Housing – Dr Heather Holst, Deputy CEO, Launch Housing
- Landlord who has a listed property with HomeGround Real Estate
- A current HomeGround Real Estate tenant
- HomeGround Real Estate, a division of Launch Housing, is an innovative social enterprise aimed at increasing the stock of affordable housing for our clients throughout Melbourne.
- It is a not-for-profit property and tenancy management business and real estate rental agency.
- The unique model is a win-win for landlords and tenants alike:
- People who have otherwise been priced out of the market are offered more affordable private rental. o HomeGround Real Estate offers landlords expert property and tenancy management services that give them peace of mind, the opportunity to contribute to those in need of housing, and a ‘social return’ on their property investment (a negotiated, discounted rental fee).
- The difference between the market return and the discounted return may be tax deductible.
- To date, HomeGround Real Estate has secured more than 300 affordable properties for low income tenants, including women and children escaping family violence.
- What our landlords and tenants say:
- “There was no reason to leave my previous real estate company – I was satisfied with the service. Choosing HomeGround Real Estate was a moral and ethical decision – I wanted to make my choice count.” —Stephen, landlord
- “HomeGround Real Estate gave me the opportunity to move on with my life and rebuild. I had been homeless for over one year. My daughter and I slept on couches and in unsafe housing. I had left a violent and abusive home but didn’t have a rental history. Even though I was working and had owned my own home I couldn’t provide rental references so I wasn’t able to get in into the private rental market.” —Rachel, tenant.
- For more information visit www.homegroundrealestate.com.au
*Data source City of Melbourne Small Demographic Profile Reports http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/about-melbourne/research-and-statistics/Pages/city-residents.aspx